I diversify. Don't hedge your bets on any one sector. I have a...

1. 194 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    I diversify. Don't hedge your bets on any one sector. I have a broad protfolio covering most sectors with good fundamentals. Got to keep an eye on them and I do look at technicals but mainly for entry/exits. I don't day trade that much as I am not that savvy and don't have the proper trading platform setup to make fast trades so lose out often on BOTS and insiders/rampers. But sometimes I do.

Crypto I have tried with limited success but if you are savvy with FOREX and crypto style investing - there are many success stories, but a lot more failures. Most of us fail there TBO.

I have been holding gold stocks that have offset most of the volatility as well as health care stocks. I invest in a range of dividend and growth stocks to feed my income stream and potentially give me good capital growth. This year has been stellar but I am prepared for any significant downturn which I will not panic and sell, but look for value adding stocks. Inevitably as history has shown time and time again. A share crash is followed by stellar rallies most of the time. So patience, a case of beer and Valiums in place will get you through those moments that test you.

Bank deposits are a waste with negative returns when you take into account inflation and other costs of living IMO. I do hold cash of course so I can act on value shares. But I have a good proportion as well in P2P lending broken up into small loans with a mixture of 5 year lending and 1 month (lower risk and easily accessible for alternative investments) that offer a significantly better interest rate - downside is that that with P2P there is no significant tax deduction you can claim.

Other is property investment which I have reduced to one in a growth area due to market risks but looks like entry at this time could be a good move with all the deductions and tax benefits. So hard to guess where to really hold anything. End of the day if you have doomsday scenarios we are all screwed unless you are holding something very valuable in a secure vault!!!

Anyway, I am not the perfect investor and there are those here making a motza and drive Maseratis etc. They have better advice. But this is my strategy as a self funded retiree with no background in finance or economics. Good luck.
    Last edited by ozzienam: 02/08/19

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.