Interesting thread, even if it's deviated a little from the...

1. 385 Posts.
    Interesting thread, even if it's deviated a little from the original question. To answer it myself, I'd say A is not enough, you need to win the flag. B would definitely do it, especially as it would mean they would have to beat one of the great teams of all time twice. There is also a third possibility, that the Saints win the flag, but lose a game or two along the way. This would still make them the equal of any of the top teams on Warnie's list (I'll call it that, even if he didn't create it) imo.

As to the other question, which team currently should be considered the best ever, I think Warnie's list is slanted too much in favour of the old VFL teams. These teams never had to travel any further than Geelong, so it's harder for the AFL teams to match them on raw for and against statistics, especially when you consider that they also play more games now. Modern teams with similar figures should therefore be rated higher, I think

I think the 2000 Bombers are a fair enough no 1, but I'd put the 2006 Cats second, and I agree with those who say Brisbane should have done better.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.