well it looks like it was a "tard". one of the right kind....

1. 44,887 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642

well it looks like it was a "tard". one of the right kind.

y'know that word you choose to use is entirely inappropriate and should not be tolerated.

but nevertheless, Hockey clearly isn't in the frame. But:

Duong 'exploited' good reputation, court hears

The case centred around a media event where Duong stood next to former federal minister Alan Tudge, and presented a $37,450 donation to the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

Prosecutors claimed it was an attempt to win favour with Mr Tudge, an MP who Duong believed could one day be prime minister.

Alan Tudge and Sunny Duong "elbow bump" at a press conference, standing behind microphones.
    Former federal minister Alan Tudge and Di Sanh Duong at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.(ABC News)

"You believed he could potentially be persuaded to influence Australian government policy in a manner favourable to the Chinese Communist Party," Judge Maidment said.

Judge Maidment said Duong had "exploited" his good reputation to solicit donations from well-meaning community members who did not realise the real motivation behind the gift to the hospital.

Following the sentence, the judge said it was "impossible to ignore" comments made by ASIO boss Mike Burgess, that a retired Australian politician was recruited by an international spy ring.

"I do not detect any link to this case. I've not been influenced in my sentencing by the press reporting," he said.

Businessman acted 'on behalf of' CCP, no direct link

Prosecutors alleged Duong had been co-opted by the CCP's United Front Work Department, an agency that seeks to use expatriates to advance the aims of the Chinese government.

Judge Maidment found Duong did not have a direct relationship with the CCP, but instead wanted to act "on behalf of" the party.

Months after the hospital encounter, Duong unsuccessfully tried to get Mr Tudge's help to secure a COVID travel visa for an associate.

The judge said Mr Tudge and another former MP, Robert Clark, were not implicated in any wrongdoing and there was no suggestion the pair had been improperly influenced by Duong.

Much of the evidence heard during Duong's trial was before a closed court, and included testimony from Australian intelligence members.

ABC LINK.

now I don't say it was Tudge or any other person, but clearly the field is open with this kind of behaviour making connections with MPs seeking special favours by "donating". i.e. buying influence.

all party pollies are subject to this kind of risk of being owned by people with an underhanded motive.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.