MOD 0.00% 43.5¢ mod resources limited

Entropylord" I do think its fair to say most of that apart from...

1. 580 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 60
    Entropylord

" I do think its fair to say most of that apart from the cement works was historic even in the 70's"

Perhaps. Depends how you look at it. The cement works operated from 1908 I think until 1988 and employed over 200 men at its peak. Golden Bay has the only current economic supply of Dolomite which is being mined today. In fact its getting bigger all the time. It may look small scale to you as you drive along the highway and look up the hill at it, but that is because the main mine is around the otherside of Mount Burnett and you cant see it from the road. If you include the trucking firm that move the dolomite around the country and the crew of the coastal bulker that the trucking firm bought to move it by sea, then the Dolomite currently employs about 40 men.

The last coal mine in the Bay stopped producing in the late 70's. And the last iron ore was mined by GB Cement in about 1986 for use in manufacturing hydraulic cement.

Since then there have been numerous small scale alluvial operations over the years employing up to 6 men each and much exploration. Almost continuous exploration.

It may not sound like much but in a place were there is no work every job counts. Consider this. My last year at school was 1988, there is only myself and two others remaining here from my class. Everyone else left, all my friends left because there is no scope here, no work.

Since 5 yrs of age my father took me out into the hills panning for gold, hunting, trapping possums etc and as a local there are many places in the Bay of signifigance to me that I wouldnt like to see damaged. Yet I would happily sacrifice one of those places if it meant the creation of opportunities for locals. Jobs so youth can remain here amongst their families after finishing school if they so desire. Its actually worth something you know to be able to remain living close to family.

I have two young sons myself, they are the 4th generation of my family to live here, and I wonder what they will do for work in another 15 years if they want to remain living here with there family? What will they do? Work at the supermarket for minimum wage? No way, I will kick and fight and do whatever I can to assist any development here.

The Bay NEEDS opportunities like this.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MOD (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.