saying sorry..., page-66

1. 346 Posts.
    newtothegame

I am far from an intelectual. I grew up in country towns and was fortunate to see people for who they were rather than what colour they were. As a result I had many friends some of whom were aboriginal. And some of them are still friends.

I have spent much time trying to advance the cause of aborigiise because I can see such wasted potential among aboginal people. A lot of it is to do with prejudice which is very sad because that just reinforces the problem.

I am just an ordinary person and my humble view is that education is the key to breaking the cycle that exists at the moment. You see aboriginal people with skills get jobs at the same rate as the general population. And once they are employed or in bonafide training they are less likely to be influenced by peer group pressure to behave anti socially. Pretty much the same with white people actually.

The problem for aboriginal people, however, too many of them come from families where no one has had a rewarding educational experience and therefor don't appreciate the value of education. As some one said earlier, it will take hundreds of years to solve this problem.

It will be less than that if we all stopped feeling superior and thought ok what can I do to help ameliorate this problem.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.