The 100th anniversary is surely an appropriate time to revisit...

1. 13,496 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 39
    The 100th anniversary is surely an appropriate time to revisit all the questions and answers about the campaign.

Some of them may be uncomfortable. E.g. thousands of Diggers getting VD? Not really a surprise in wartime, with virile young men on what must have seemed a great adventure in a strange land.

A the service yesterday, a speaker (naval commander and leader) told of the hospital ships and the incredible job the nurses did in handling the flood of wounded coming from the battlefield. Also spoke of a hospital ship torpedoed and sinking and the cool and calm manner in which the nurses reacted, free of panic and mayhem.

But McIntyre's comments were beyond the pale - with outrageous statements that only inflame and breed hatred. I'm glad he's gone - couldn't care less really - very rareley watch SBS and Soccer once every 4 years.

The Carlton and Bolt cases are an interesting contrast.

Carlton was sacked for using four letter words and grossly offensive insults replying to emails from readers of the SMH - they had no choice but to ask him to leave. He was not sacked for his opinions about Israel (or so we are told, anyway).

Bolt - well the court found that he had disregarded the truth in statements about some people of indigenous heritage. Definitely not as offensive as McIntyre's intemperate rant (well, not to me - can't speak for those Bolt attacked). But he has never apologised to my knowledge, which seems pretty arrogant, but at least he got some sort of slap on the wrist.

I can understand people getting highly upset about McIntyre's rants - he made serious accusations against those who can no longer defend themselves. This in itself is a low act, but not unlawful. He's made his bed and now has to lie in it and if he gets lousy, well he's no-one to blame but himself.
    Last edited by greenhart: 26/04/15

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.