I agree that the overall abilities of home schooled kids won't...

1. 30,924 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 174
    I agree that the overall abilities of home schooled kids won't vary much form the norm. The difference is that they can reach their peak earlier. They aren't constrained by the systems prescribed learning rate. Plus the parent can branch out much more than a teacher can, exploring sidepaths that interest the child.

"Areas where home schooled students score well, and significantly higher than non-white or minority kids is in emotional support and feelings of safety in their school environment. This isn't rocket science though."

It may not be rocket science, but isn't it very important? And a really good reason to school them at home? If they are prone to excessive anxiety in a school environment, they aren't going to be learning at the optimal rate, are they?

I don't think Lubienski's views apply to Australia. Certainly not in Queensland, where homeschooling is a state funded exercise subsidised by the parents. He/she just appears to be a loopy control freak from what you've said. "Parents need teachers and local schools to help them home school their children, prepare them for university entrance and so forth, but don't want their children to "be in the building" so to speak." So what? Parents pay for the school system regardless of how much they use it. Any funding issues need to be aimed at the state govts, not homeschooling parents who are actually relieving the system, not straining it!

"No parents can prepare their students for senior years work alone, in which case, it it really home schooling or just a protest against going to school as an actual location?"

I don't think much of you as an education researcher when you come out with silly statements like these. Of course parents can put their kids through senior school, what makes you think they can't and don't? You have really missed something here. And you have definitely not been in sufficiently close contact with homeschooling parents if you think their reasons are as shallow as it simply being a protest action.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.