Science dumbed down

1. 15,304 Posts.
    geesh I must be getting old

Change of times for me. Working for others now.
    Talking with young tradies (sparkies) and what ARE they taught at college/ trade school / tafe / uni or whatever it is nowadays.

In my young day it was no phones, no note pads with formulas already written down to use pertaining to many electrical LAWS in science for the exams. It was Einstien, Faraday, Lorenz, Kirchoff, Fleming, Volta, Ampere etc etc. Plenty of photocopy sheets that the uni gave you or the odd books you had to purchase. But not taken into exams.

I went out for a few beers with the young ones on Friday night. Discussing what it is they learnt in their first year at Sparky school and then I compared that to what I learnt in my first of the Jensons Electrical Theory book that is still in production today but less technical.

The outcome was not to dissimilar except that they had no idea on how electrons flow throughout a cable.
    In my day we discussed electron flow between atoms/molecules. Then it was called HOLE theory

In reality it has advanced to PHOTON theory.

Back then I was REQUIRED to understand how energy is exchanged via electrons within the copper cables. (photons anyone?)
    Today I am met with a blank WTF are you talking about from the young ones!
    Last edited by jopo: 21/09/21

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.