"With respect to society, the developing world, like all those...

1. 81,280 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    "With respect to society, the developing world, like all those Chinese coming out of poverty, and Indians likewise, all want a steak sandwich and several pairs of shoes. They see our society as the model. We are effectively killing ourselves very slowly."

that's the heart of the problem - food, the quantity and even protein aren't an issue - the issue is as you say - that people want a steak sandwich --

IMO - that will change dramatically in the very near future - perhaps within 20 years - most surely - 50 years -

grazing will be gone - the killing of live animals for meat will be gone - in it's place there'll be probably factory grown meat. Also vegetable alternatives and also insects in far greater use than atm.

as to -------

"If we don’t get technological breakthrough to change the economy of the world, we are doomed"

we will have a radically changed economy - if we don't begin to experiment with that soon - then, technology will change it for us - like it or lump it

personally, the way I see it going is that we won't experiment much or enough - and, what we will find is perhaps a series of technological changes -- will just force change -

I think it will come rapidly - basically as good as overnight - because although I can see a number of technologies will drive it - self drive autos, robotics in all sorts of industries, full automations etc etc - that's all heading that way now

I still think that there's going to be a blockbuster bomb dropped - like the personal robot -

that too may well come in versions - like - we've had very basic versions so far - but, really - I don't even count them because in practice - they are basically out of zero to ten -

less than 1 - their report card of what they can do is dismal --

BUT one technological advance - some sort of large leap in computing power - and, the personal robot could almost be born overnight

when that happens -------------- boom - all over red rover - governments will have to really bring in draconian power to stop their use - or else be forced to change the entire economic system - because it's going to change anyway - overnight

just imagine if we could wave a magic wand and have a personal robot (or as many as we want) - and it can perform like any human - just better.

that's not an if - that's a when - and, if that when comes suddenly - oh, boy, there's going to be a hell of an adjustment

all that work that's being done from home now?? --------- finished

the boss will have a fleet of robots and there'll be no humans employed - or - humans will get their personal robot to do the job at the desk - while they go to the beach.

who knows - what we do know - is that humans will be obsolete - one way or another

stone age man never had that problem

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.