BPH 5.26% 1.8¢ bph energy ltd

Scomo was a Resource Minister., page-444

1. 9,763 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2375
    And what went wrong with Pep11 from this time on it’s pretty simple isn’t !!!!! Of all people the PM of the country at the time, if you where to factor that into a oily penny investment who would go near them with a ten foot pole.

18 February 2021

Interviewer

Paul Turton

Subject

PEP 11, oil and gasexploration, gas supply, NOPTA.

E&OE

PAUL TURTON: Yesterday on the programme, we heard that Deputy Premier JohnBarilaro had written to Federal Resources Minister Keith Pitt recommending thatPEP 11 not be renewed. If you haven't been following this, the PetroleumExploration Permit, that's where the PEP comes in PEP 11, is Advent Energy'splan to explore and potentially drill for gas off the coast of New South Wales.It's caused a fair bit of anxiety. In fact, I haven't heard a single communitymember say it's a good idea. Now, the final decision, of course, rests withMinister Pitt, and he's been good enough to come on Drive today and explainwhat he's thinking at the moment. Minister, thanks for doing that, by the way.

KEITH PITT: Oh, great to be with you. Great to be with your listeners.

PAUL TURTON: Have you made a decision yet? Are you going to extend AdventEnergy's Petroleum Exploration Permit 11?

KEITH PITT: Oh, I know the ABC loves an exclusive, but no, that decision isnot yet made. And I don't think any of your listeners would disagree that weshould always make sure that we give full and detailed consideration to thesetypes of applications. In Australia, there's very strong regulatory provisionsfor offshore exploration and development, and that's what I intend to do.

PAUL TURTON: Is it fair for me to say, as I did a moment ago, that there's nocommunity support at all? I say I haven't heard any. What about the feedbackyou're getting?

KEITH PITT: Well, I mean, this is a permit which has been around for quitesome time. In fact, an exploration well was last drilled in the region in 2010,approved under the former Labor Government, of course, by then EnvironmentMinister Tony Burke. Soit has been around. It's been successful. We have an offshore oil and gasindustry that's been in place more than 50 years. And we've got very strongregulations in place. And once again, I'll give the proposal full and detailedconsideration. And the decision I make is one which is in the national interest.

PAUL TURTON: Australia's already the world's largest exporter of gas. Why doesthe Government believe that we need more of it?

KEITH PITT: Well, the forecast in terms of domestic is that mid-term, weexpect there will be some shortfall, and that's been forecast by AEMO and, ofcourse, other areas. We have to continue exploration in particular. If youdon't maintain your exploration, then down the track, you very clearly run outof product. If we look at the Bass Strait, which is a great example- I mean,Victoria's manufacturing sector was built off the back of the Bass Straitdiscovery. It's now in decline after probably 45, 50 years of development anddelivery of oil and gas. It's been very, very strong for the Australianeconomy. It's been great for jobs. But we need to keep exploration up if weintend to continue to use it.

PAUL TURTON: Minister, does the New South Wales Deputy Premier's advice carrymuch sway with you?

KEITH PITT: Well, it is a joint authority. Mr Barilaro has provided thatofficial advice about 1.30 yesterday. And of course, we'll consider it. But I am the finaldecision maker.

PAUL TURTON: Other politicians, both Liberal and Labor, don't want it, andcommunities from Manly to Newcastle have been very outspoken as well. How doyou factor in the feedback that you get from communities and their localrepresentatives?

KEITH PITT: Well,the decisions that I make are one ones which are based firstly on the advicefrom the regulator, which in this case is NOPTA. (1) Secondly, on ensuringthat the regulations that we have in place are obviously complied with (2). But in this country,if you are a company that wishes to operate, to develop, to do otheractivities, and you meet the criteria, well then there's a fair expectationthat you are approved (3). So we will consider all of the elements that are included in theregulation, that are included in the advice from NOPTA that are included, ofcourse, from the joint authority with Mr Barilaro. And obviously, I've beenhaving discussions with, not only my colleagues, but others, around thisexploration permit.

PAUL TURTON: What are the environmental risks from these exploration sites thatyou're aware of at this stage?

KEITH PITT: Well, once again, to get to the stage where there is actuallyexploration, the company or the proponent would need to put forward both asafety and environmental plan. That would need to be approved byNOPSEMA, which is the regulator for offshore oil and gas in this country,recognised as one of the world's best in terms of world leading practise.(My comment: Do we knowNOPSEAMAs decision? If not, how can we find out?) And it's been done safely right around the country for quite a long time. So offshore facilities have coexisted - and benefited, to be honest - local communities, providing jobs and other opportunities for many, many years. But once again, we need to make sure we make decisions in the national interest, that we continue to protect the marine environment, and we need a balanced approach.

PAUL TURTON: Bass Strait started with one gas rig. It's got 23 now. It kind ofseems counterintuitive to see the east coast of New South Wales as, you know,fishing vessels driving around gas rigs. Is it impractical to have our eastcoast littered, literally, with these facilities?

KEITH PITT: I mean, this exploration area is over 4000 square kilometres. Awell, if one is actually successful in terms of an exploration permit, is onlythe size of a dining table. I mean, I think we just need to have someperspective of what's been proposed. And right now, this is an extension of theexploration permit. It's not an approval for a rig or for exploration well.

PAUL TURTON: Minister, one of the seats where there's been a vocal complaint ofthe extension of PEP 11 is in the marginal seat of Robertson. Lucy Wicks holdsthe seat at the moment. There could be political ramifications from yourdecision. Is that something that you factor in?

KEITH PITT: Absolutelynot. I mean, Lucy is a very strong representative for her community. She'smade their views very clear, not only to me, but obviously publicly. And that'swhat I expect from a local member. I'm a local member up in Central Queensland.The people that send me to Canberra send me to fight for them, and so that's nosurprise.

PAUL TURTON: And Minister, just finally, the timeline, how's it looking? Haveyou set yourself goals in regard to this decision?

KEITH PITT: Well, I'll be looking to make a decision in the near future. Butobviously, it's not one which will be rushed. We will consider all of theinformation that's provided and make the right decisions in the interest of thenation.

PAUL TURTON: Minister Pitt, thank you so much for joining us.

KEITH PITT: It's great to be with you.

PAUL TURTON: There's theFederal Resources Minister Keith Pitt speaking to us here on ABC Newcastle

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BPH (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
1.8¢
Change
-0.001(5.26%)
Mkt cap ! $20.65M
Open High Low Value Volume
1.9¢ 2.0¢ 1.8¢ $91.52K 4.868M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
9 1956600 1.8¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
1.9¢ 1000000 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.48pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
BPH (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.