Sadly, what Morrison did probably was technically legal. A lot...

1. 2,278 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 51
    Sadly, what Morrison did probably was technically legal. A lot of the way Australian government runs is based on well-worn constitutional conventions that aren't really codified into law. A sort of gentlemen's agreement that you won't abuse power - which comes from the Westminster system.

My own personal disgust for Morrison stems from the many things he did that were technically legal, but completely unethical. Double the hypocrisy considering he's a god-botherer.

When all is said and done, if all one can say to defend their behaviour is that technically it was legal, then they are probably a piece of sh!t. And Morrison definitely was.

Associate professor of constitutional law at Monash University Luke Beck gave a great summary I thought:
    "Technically, this looks like it's probably, strictly speaking, legal, but it is inconsistent with constitutional convention, these are the unwritten rules that govern how things run.
    Convention in this country is that the identity of ministers is published in the Gazette, that the identity of ministers is known to parliament.

"There's clearly a flaw in our system of relying on unwritten constitutional conventions. I think at the very least, the current parliament needs to pass a law that requires every time the Governor-General appoints somebody to a ministry or to an extra ministry that that be published in the Gazette

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.