GOT 0.00% 17.5¢ groote resources limited

SimonjbA pretty condescending approach in my opinionn Simonjb....

1. 325 Posts.
    Simonjb

A pretty condescending approach in my opinionn Simonjb. And I'm not ripping into you by saying that, it's reasonably typical of the stereotypical notions held by the Mainstream, basically out of their own ignorance and the overwhelming hot wiring of everybody from all cultures only being able to observe and assess situations through their own cultural filters....here's what you wrote: "My personal opinion is that misguiding the disadvantaged just to fleece them is highly imoral, but alas thats the world we live in and generally its not illegal if they agree to it. If only they could be better educated in regard to non aboriginal issues they could make better choices for themselves, it's a crying shame really. Always felt sorry for these types in that way."

For starters the TO's of the Archipelago don't see themselves as disadvantaged. Mainstream Australian don't only see the GE's as disadvantaged but see them as somehow dysfunctional or culturally deficient because they don't share the same World View as the culturally interactionally dominant Mainstream.

Interestingly the GE's believe that the Mainstream is culturally deficient and dysfunctional because their view of functionality is quite stark...Ceremonial Aborigines are functional and all other cultures fall short. And even though I don't agree, they don't even see the Mainstream as having a Culture. Their streotypical notions based on their interaction with us is that we are self-obsesed, aggressive and money fixated. And they've had a lot more interaction with the Mainstream than mainstreamers have had with their Ceremonial World view and cultural behaviours.

I'll ask you, what's your experience with Ceremonial aborigines? If it's zilch how are you positioned to make comments which in summary, re this seabed mining dynamic, are basically that they're being led along by the nose by white people bent on fleecing them? Those comments are simply based on some stereotypical idea, or if not total misinformation, I'd suggest. That'd be fair comment wouldn't it?

The TO's of Groote have had forty years of interaction with the mining industry and government beaurocracies, agencies and operatives, and before that another forty of interaction with missionaries. They're very well educated in terms of how those industries and individuals have impacted on them and their culture. And generally they are aware that all of them, in one way or another,have operated on the notion of "cultural deficit" i.e. fixing them up or "mending" them to act and think like the Mainstream.

Re GOT they believe they are making the best decision for themselves and it's based on prior experience. I'm not misguiding the disadvantaged...I have no role in their decision making re land and sea. They make those decisions themselves. What I do is run a campaign on their behalf in an attempt to assist them achieve their objectives...and so far the campaign has been reasonably successful- GOT haven't even mapped to date and Gemco haven't undertaken any activity on their sea based EL's. I'm not profiteering from their difficulties I'm just doing my job, and as I just said, GOT haven't mapped and Gemco have done nothing so I reckon I'm earning my keep.

There's a couple of definitive primary sources articulating the TO's position. One is a lettr to the CM of the NT, another is an interview my wife gave to the ABC Stateline program.

Look Simonj in terms of political correctness I think that whole "welcome to country" nonsense is just that...a croc of the proverbial; I have little but contempt for the aboriginal industry and their "leaders" speaking on behalf of all aborigines. Pan-aboriginality, this aboriginal nations guff, in my opinion is just that too, "guff". Aboriginal Australia is made up of hundreds of different cultures with just a handful who still follow Ceremonial Law and who lead Ceremonial Lives and whose languages are still intact. I'm not saying that they are better or more "legitimate" than those groups who have lost Ceremony and their languages (I mean it's not like they gave them up voluntarily is it) just that they are different.

In my opinion seabed mining in those waters will be anything but fast tracked. I think we will find that both the Commonwealth and the NT DOR will adopt the "precautionary principle" and any movement to seabed mining will be snail's paced to make sure that we don't end up with an environmental or cultural disaster. My personal view is that the process will be short sheeted in the short term.

Not only do the TO's have "some money", they are much better resourced than GOT- they have much, much more noney in the bank than GOT's market cap, let alone what is in that comapny's war chest.

Look Simonj I remember claims that GOT we're going to have a $30 party last Christmas...I've also stated that I believe GOT may well be a long, long term blue chip stock. One day in the long term there'll be seabed mining in the Gulf. I don't doubt that for a minute, but in the here and now or in the short term, just for starters, seabed mining of mn could't remotely compete with open cut strip mining on land.

But for the majority of SH's looking for a quick and mighty return on a short term speccy, in the short term, I think that they're going to be severely disappointed.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOT (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.