NTM 0.00% 0.6¢ nt minerals limited

it looks like the nt gov is against the marine parkif they didnt...

1. 366 Posts.
    it looks like the nt gov is against the marine park

if they didnt want ntm there why grant them the area?

Top End marine parks proposal whips up storm
    Rick Hind and Kristy O'Brien

Updated October 21, 2011 13:48:09

The Northern Territory Government says it will oppose a report calling for the establishment of nine marine sanctuaries in Commonwealth waters off the Top End.

Fisheries Minister Kon Vatskalis says the Australian Marine Conservation Society has misrepresented a wish-list on no-go areas as a scientific report.

The society has called for the no-go, no-take areas around the Territory coastline as part of a submission to the Federal Government on marine conservation zones.

Mr Vatskalis says the Territory has the most sustainable fishery in the nation and the society should have done more research before it called for fishing bans.

"I am very angry when they come out and portray as a report their submission to the minister," he said.

"(There is) no scientific basis behind it, nothing at all, it's a wish-list.

"Might as well, all of us, get out of the Territory and the last one turn out the light.

"That is not the idea.

"The idea is, yes we go fishing but we do manage our fishing sustainably."

Mr Vatskalis says he will only accept Canberra's proposed single conservation zone.

Australian Marine Conservation Society spokesman Jess Abraham says the extra sites the group wants made marine parks include Joseph Bonaparte Gulf, Fog Bay, Van Diemen Rise, the Pinnacles of Cobourg Peninsula, Limmen Bight and Groote Eylandt.

"I am not putting sizes or numbers or lines on maps," he said.

"What I wanted to do was identify some iconic areas that Tony Burke, the Environment Minister, has missed.

"He has got a submission process underway at the moment and he wants the public to give him feedback.

"Right now, his proposal is totally inadequate for protecting our marine environment.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add NTM (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.