selfish argument for rspt, page-8

1. 22,720 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 769
    Hello debono,

Adam Smith in his masterpiece "the Wealth of Nations"
    comments on the role of self interest

"there is nothing wrong with people acting in their self interest. In a free market, the combined force of everyone
    persueing his or her own individual interests is to benefit
    society as a whole, enriching everyone."

I dont think Adam Smith, God love him, was advocating anything here that was complementary to Marx's communism at the time or related in any way to current Labor thinking
    if we believe the right wing's accusations against Labor as being communist.

Furthermore it would make a rather limp social policy to base a behavioural theory on your type of altrueism rather than on individual self interest. Crikey, the ATO would go beserk!

And don't tell me for a minute that that multinationals dont act out of self interest. So why not have a go at them first, they're bigger than me.

When self interest is common and does not conflict with others, great, but in the case of tax collection I have a right to say "not me" the same as the multinationals that you barrack for say "not them".

Your arguement is that taking money from the multinationals is bad for Australia. My position is that given demand for our Iron Ore & Coal and the related high value of these resources at present , we should take the money now rather than rely on:-

(a) the multinationals to pay later when investment pays off

or
    (b) wait for payment until concern about global warning and related carbon trading levies render these minerals virtually worthless.

Just ask BHP or Rio to be as altrueistic as yourself in making a choice as per (a) or (b) above!

Moorooka Mick
    non political as anything!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.