SGN 0.47% $1.07 stw communications group limited

share price rise

1. 1,375 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    Always nice to see a healthy rise in STW's share price, but also scratching my head over the reason for the sudden upswing. Apologies for verbal speculation, but here are some possible explanations:

1. This is the last day of the SPP. I don't know if the SPP is oversubscribed, but if some holders know or think the SPP will be limited, they might have bought the expected shortfall on market.

2. STW received favourable recommendations recently. Don't know why articles a week or two old would affect the market today, but seems to be a momentum effect building since they were published.
    (a) AFR last Monday (19 Nov) had the following:
    " "The defensive yield trade is probably pretty full," said (Celeste Funds Management chief investment officer Frank Villante). "You also need some potential for earnings growth." High-yielding stocks have outperformed over the past several months and valuations look full, but those with the ability to generate earnings well above inflation will be the ones worth paying a premium for. Mr Villante said stocks that fit the yield and growth category include building products supplier GUD Holdings, advertising firm STW Communications Group and labour hire company Skilled Group. "

(b) AFR article on 13 Nov stated: "(Bell Potter Securities head of research Peter Quinton) is tipping advertising company STW Communications Group as an outperformer as it is leveraged to the online advertising market. Unlike other internet-related stocks, it is trading on a modest price-earnings multiple of 8 times with a dividend yield of around 9 per cent."

3. Today's news that online advertising will exceed TV ad spending in 2013. (No ad/creative firms are mentioned, but STW is recognized for its strong online advertising presence).

Plenty of other possible reasons, but definitely curious (and pleasant) market movement. As always, please DYOR.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SGN (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.