short ban on german stocks, page-74

1. 13,316 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 168
    Agree with your points Rebel....problem has been in the growth of financial instruments over last decade which are not about in reality protection of underlying assets/future cash flows/stock held but rather as a hobby horse for hedge funds etc to make massive super profits from manipulation and volatility. Follows the massive growth of hedge funds etc over last decade as well.

The fallout from GFC1 was always going to see more financial regulation...German reaction on naked short selling just the start and what already applies in Oz and US. Since GFC1 this was always going to happen, just hasn't happened fast enough IMO...

Storm in a teacup wrt to financial regulation for as stated clearly going to happen and as Merkel stated overnight these bans will apply until Eurozone policies are in place regarding financial regulation. But markets will get in a frenzy about anything coming out of Europe at the moment, and overplay by exagerated statements will stop protection of risky assets (which if you read what Merkel has stated is not the case).

Longer term this is a positive as my view is unless we sort out the financial regulation in major worldwide markets of what has been the growth of complex and varied financial instruments, the world economy will be at the risk of self destruction. I am not looking for the world economy and misery of billions of people to be held to ransom so hedge fund traders and the like can make superprofits from manipulation and massive volalitilty swings.

I haven't forgottent what caused GFC1 in the first place which was hybrid securities/low doc loans that if had proper financial regulation in place wouldn't have happened.

Now we have GFC2 at risk from speculators playing the Euro...sorry this needs to happen...and if Europe can get its act together to get better financial regulation it will save us all a lot of misery in the medium to longer term....

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.