AKE 0.00% $9.83 allkem limited

Let me try to explain the use of lithium precursors in battery...

1. 3,463 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3013
    Let me try to explain the use of lithium precursors in battery production.
    While lithium metal is used in the production of non rechargeable Lithium Battery anodes, it is not used in Lithium-ion batteries (LIB) which you will find in power tools and EVs.
    Much of the focus for lithium investors falls on comparisons between Lithium Carbonate (Li2CO3) and Lithium Hydroxide (LiOH) chemicals that are used as precursors in the production of LIB cathodes.
    The focus on Li2CO3 and LiOH is the major proportion of their use in the Lithium Industry. Lithium Metal itself makes up a relatively small size of the market.
    Some cathodes like LFP (LiFePo4) and lower Nickel proportion NCM523 utilize Li2CO3 while cathode formulations like NCA or NCM811 which you might find in the likes of a Tesla rely on LiOH.
    Neither Li2CO3 or LiOH are converted to Lithium Metal prior to their use in the production of cathodes.
    LIBs also use liquid electrolytes that contain differing Lithium Chemicals, most commonly Lithium Hexafluorophosphate (LiPF6) - again not a metal.
    LIB anodes tend to be made of Carbon.
    Future development of battery types is expected to include Solid State Lithium batteries that would utilize Lithium metal in the anode.
    Li Metal is typically manufactured from Lithium Chloride.
    Here is an article that describes the use of Li2CO3 and LiOH in the production of various cathodes.
    http://ma.ecsdl.org/content/MA2016-02/3/469.abstract
    Last edited by Sjlasx: 18/01/20

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AKE (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.