WBT 4.49% $1.86 weebit nano ltd

There are many things I don't understand about the share market...

1. 3,939 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 773
    There are many things I don't understand about the share market and I try to learn as I go. One mystery to me is an aspect of short selling where a short position is held for a considerable time.

I understand the principle of borrowing shares for a fee, selling those shares at a price, at a later date buying shares at a lower price then returning them to the lender and keeping the profit. That sounds simple but annoys the heck out of me because of the strategies used to force the share price down to the detriment of other holders, but I digress.

What I do not understand is why somebody continues to hold a short position when it is clearly well in the money and actually continues to cost money on rental fees. Won't the fees continually erode the profits of the trade? Why not exit by buying the necessary shares and taking the profit? In the case of Weebit, the share price has been shorted down to a level where there is surely very little potential remaining for shorters. Where is the case for hanging on to a short position in Weebit interminably, rather than a managed orderly exit that may bring a stream of profits?

Is it pure greed by the shorters or do they think they have time on their side and have failed to notice the progress made by Weebit with foundry relationships and likely customer acquisitions?

Anybody know please?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WBT (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.