Short term - knowledge library 4.0 start of colation, page-6

1. 17,280 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 196
    Management of partners expectations is also worthy of discussion... how to keep your parties expectations in check. How to expectation of others affect your trading ?

Poster Zandaya
    Link 30780022

Lol- we have a profit account for the shares that I manage for school fees, holidays, bits & pieces that come along unexpected (and just between us my speccie and tax clearing account)

Number 1 rule always mention and gloat about yor wins.

Number 2 rule never mention or talk about your losses if asked they are not losses unless sold! They are short term long term holdings

Number 3 rule if asked is that that HotCopper shite you are obsessed with!
    Answer- No can you please leave me alone I have shiteloads of work emails to get through

Poster peejayshercules
    link 30782635
    How was your day's trading, darling? Did you make lots of money?

Invasion of privacy. Venus fly trap conversation. You need to shut this down ... fast.

Open up a trading account in your wife's name. You love her so much you put $1,000 in it. You've created a monster.
    Dreams of Versaci and Armani. Greed is good. But what do I buy, darling ... you're the "expert".
    Make sure it's a slow burner. No chance of ever going under. Do something good for the world. How about treating waste water for all the poor people of the world? That sounds wonderful, darling. Fluence? ... what a clever little name.

It doesn't go up very fast, does it darling? No honey, this is the way the market works. You put your money in, and over the years it just keeps growing and growing. Not quite as fast and exciting as the movies make it out to be. Yes darling.
    When a good announcement comes out make sure you tell her "Revenues $100 million next year darling". That's lovely darling, but it's a bit boring don't you think? Yes darling. Is that why you talk to your friends on HC? Are they all bored too? Yes darling.

Works a treat.

Poster Nodferatu
    link 30798613

This is an interesting subject.

I try very hard to not talk about trading with my better half. She just doesn't understand the mechanics of it all and any conversation quickly turns into a disinterested one. All she wants to know is if I made or lost money at the end of the year, and to be honest, that's exactly how I like it. Tax time tells the truth so I can't exactly lie, but I may stretch the truth a little throughout the year

Said stretching usually entails not saying exactly how much each trade has made or lost throughout the year. I try talk in percentages and not in dollar value as it seems to not reveal the full extent of the success or failure lol. When I talk in dollar value and the market is being kind, she then wants me to trade with both all of my and her money and put it all on black, and then when the market is being a bastard, well, she sometimes says all types of nasty things to me . If I'm having a bad run, I don't need her adding extra pressure me, likewise, I don't need or want her telling me I'm the king when I'm going well. All in good intent on my behalf.

All in all, we keep it very separate... for good reasons. We have our shared money and we both have our own money - although, trading is, and always will, remain my money that I control. We are lucky enough that we live well enough without trading income and that buys me my ticket to freedom and control.

I'm always the boss at home (when the wife is away).

Poster herbalist
    link 30799561

My wife is v supportive. She knows I enjoy it. She doesn't validate it but she accepts it. Am starting to convince her there is a modicum of skill involved rather than being just gambling which is her basic view. If there is one aspect of discussing wins with her that helps is she would cash out every winner. Don't always listen but its not bad to have a constant reminder that a win isn't a win till its banked. The other area she helps with is conceptually. She will come up with reasons not to invest in any spec company and that is not a bad input to have. Honestly I cant recall one investment idea I have discussed with her where her first response was not ridicule. If I can talk her around then that is a big positive.

Poster Lambre
    link 30800476

I enjoyed reading your post @Nodferatu . It was funny. I probably however do the exact opposite to you, and I tell my other half everything about my trading. But that is how we are with every other aspect of our lives also. We tell each other everything. I feel very supported by my spouse - even when the market is cruel. It actually helped to have my spouse there oneday, watching the screen as one share that I was way over invested in, dropped about 50% on an announcement, within 20 minutes. At one stage there were almost no buyers on the board. My spouse saw how hard it was for me, and how mortified I was.

I was in severe pain. But the support that I got was awesome. I work really hard at trading, and my partner can see that - because we communicate. Part of our closeness is that we share our lives with each other, and because trading is a big part of my life, I want to share that. How much you share depends on your relationship, and what your partner can handle. A healthy relationship will survive losses in the market, better than a fragile one. Frankly though, the relationship is way more important than the money.

End collation point Note topic of Hotcopper ignore function etc was big topic but not sure to add . Possible revisit this at some point as topic . Weekend 22/2/18
    Last edited by valen1828: 25/02/20

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.