XAO 0.07% 8,010.5 all ordinaries

Short Term Trading Week Starting: 14 Jan, page-4

1. 2,519 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 237
    Hey @wilfran1pm @sci9249 @radx @VVX565 +others

Excellent discussions last week!

I listened to a bunch of the podcasts Sci posted and did some other searching and reading about Amibroker and Bandy wilfran suggested. Really a shift in my mindset tbh.

Few take aways:

-basic models / approaches likely more suitable to avoid curve fit (finding huge returning backtests that are likely to fail going forward by something not foreseen or excluded by over optimising)
    -back testing / testing basic ideas are a good way to find suitable trades / edges
    -strategies that work across markets are likely more robust or will have more longevity
    -difference between momentum and mean reversion strategies, markets favour either at different times
    -strategies don't work forever, need to review, revisit, retest periodically
    -its ok to deploy multiple strategies, don't need to find the one big system.
    -a simple system that can minimise drawdowns during recessions / bear markets that invests in a ETF reinvesting dividends will outperform money managers.

I've had probably a couple dozen other realisations listening through but have been quite passive so far rather than noting everything down.

I'm quite motivated to keep listening, taking notes and ultimately choose a software or process to test or replicate basic systems to get into the mindset.

What is the best place for us to continue to chat? STT weekly threads are a great melting pot but its obviously quite fast paced and the changing threads mean its easy to miss posts etc. Should we create a thread in XAO or XJO with Algorithmic trading topic selected?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XAO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.