Blacklinei no longer user my commsec account after blowing it...

1. 2,834 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2381
    Blackline

i no longer user my commsec account after blowing it several years ago. That's what they get for being too generous with their lending.

ANZ/CMC, which is likely to manage orders much the same way as other larger platforms, does allow buy and sell simultaneously. But please allow me to say that the buying part is easy. It is getting the selling right that takes practice, particularly the pricing part: sell too early or too late.

Conditional orders for selling, say a trailing sell, as well as a standard sell order can be set at the same time too, but the trailing must be set first. Once it is set, you can also write a standard sell and execute, even if those shares are also part of the conditional order. Of course, if you do execute your standard sell, then the shares will no longer be available for the trailing sell to be triggered.

But if you instigate a standard sell and place it in the market, your shares are 'occupied' in that sell order, and you won't be able to set a trailing sell.

Trailing sells can also fall through without being executed in a volatile market, as occurred to me with MSB recently at about $5.By the time I wrote and set my standard sell, the price had dropped considerably. Hence have both types of orders ready in such markets.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.