Hello. Just trying to join the dots. They have $500k, they just...

1. 1,883 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 77
    Hello. Just trying to join the dots. They have $500k, they just gave away $1M.. they are about to IPO in Sweden - to obtain more capital (pending regulatory approval and so on) - which may cost some additional money. Hmm.

Did they say anything about the proposed revenue structure of the new crypto exchange? How are they going to make money off it? I’m assuming fees and a % cut on transfers. Perhaps a more pertinent question: when will that (monetisation) occur? Note that the longer it takes, the more money shareholders will have to stump up to cover costs.

I understand the Chi-X founder connection, and it’s a compelling link, but... a crypto exchange is very different to Chi-X, which is in effect a ‘small clone’ of an existing exchange (the ASX) and exists inside a country with a much more accepting regulatory environment. Another key difference is that Chi-X trades existing (real, known) stocks, whereas a new Crypto exchange will need to be set up to trade virtual currencies, many of which do not even exist yet. And this means that the trading rules, systems, underlying architecture, security mechanisms etc are all.. different. And, in most cases, completely new.

Another thing to keep in mind is that they’ll be competing with the other 124 (24 hour and global) crypto exchanges currently in operation, of which there are.. around.. 12 in operation in Singapore already. Differentiation will be pretty key.

And on that: My understanding is that Singapore doesn’t regard BTC as legal tender, has been tightening regulatory frameworks around ICOs and Crypto (even shutting down bank accounts for certain providers) and, in a wider sense, is generally quite heavily regulated; in the application of both Govt rules & the influence of certain dominant families who control a chunk of their economy.

PS not wanting to poop the party.. I really find Crypto tech fascinating, but at the same time, want to be realistic and recognize that these ventures can come with all sorts of complications.
    Last edited by lifeguard22: 28/11/17

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.