Just wanted to throw my two Satoshis at the blockchain theme....

1. 676 Posts.
    Just wanted to throw my two Satoshis at the blockchain theme.

I've noticed an emerging trend for conflating the concept of blockchain with the unrelated concept of AI. Already I see both terms appearing together in releases from YOJ, LNU and now S3R (see the LinkedIn screenshot by Banker on the w/e thread). I think this is mostly technobabble designed to impress the punters and I smell some BS going on.

Blockchain is method of implementing a distributed ledger for recording transactions. It's a decentralised database. That's it. One well known use of a blockchain is to keep track of crypto currency transactions. But the block chain itself is not crypto currency. It just holds a record of who owns what.

Also, there is no such thing as THE blockchain. It is just a term for a class of distributed ledgers. You can create as many blockchains as you want for whatever it is you want to track. The value lies in the info you put into a blockchain.

New uses for blockchain style databases to track ownership are now showing up in another round of attempts to create products that deliver digital rights management (DRM). For example, LNU (video) and S3R (3D printer design files). The purpose of DRM is to control the use of a digital file that can otherwise be copied freely (such as an MP3 music file). When DRM is applied, the right to use the content in the file is only granted on payment of a fee.

My point is that the various uses of blockchain (crypto currency, DRM, others) don't have any inherent connection to artificial intelligence. The AI is a separate concept you can think of as a way for by machines (computers) to improve automated decision making when dealing with imprecise "fluffy" inputs from sentient meat units (people).

Wishing the STT crew all the best for the new year and keep your BS detectors fully engaged throughout.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.