Short Term Trading Weekend Lounge: 1-3 Sept, page-61

1. SDi
    509 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    I started a ketogenic diet 5 weeks ago. I recommend you try it for mental acuity. Also, for satiety. The principle of the diet is that you consume additional fat or fat you already store is metabolised by the liver into ketones (ie. β-hydroxybutyrate) which are then oxidised in the brain (rather than glucose).

There is a lot of nonsense around about it being 70-80% fat intake. This is not true. Also, there is a bunch of dubious science around. Anyway, the essence of the diet is to eat low carbohydrates (<30 net per day). This means consuming lots of meat, eggs, coconut oil, and butter. Also, lots of avocado, broccoli, cabbage etc., being mindful to minus fibre from total carbohydrates....

The first 3-4 days were difficult . It felt almost surreal. I broke the diet at 3am when writing a literature review on one night. For around a week or two I struggled to run and do my regular body weight training. Since I have stuck to it and have lost 4 kg (sitting on around 72kg). I am able to exercise with the intensity that I had.

The downside of this diet is that my girlfriend, who I live with, complains our meals can't always be shared, since I eat more fat than she does. Also, I haven't checked, but I am sure my blood cholesterol will be slightly higher.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.