Short Term Trading Weekend Lounge: 12-14 Jan, page-81

1. 2,335 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 536
    [this turned out to be another war on peace from me, sorry in advance, I sure hope someone gets benefit out of reading my dribble other than me]

Min, As always, ever the wise post - appreciate your response and insight.

Acknowledge the points around position sizing and followers, and it can help with entries and exits no doubt, a lot of his plays appear intraday and as you say retrospective however so I agree to an extent but with a grain of salt.

The non-seperation of accounts I understand also, I am personally guilty of this although it was originally because my main portfolio wasn’t big enough to split and I am doing 5g for reasons a bit different to most so never intended to trade different to my main account - but will rectify for next year because I don’t like what happened when I took a break it messed with my tracking and although trying to be fair in my resumption, as you say it defeats the point for people following - anyway rambling here, not the point of this post, should be a comment for the 5g, but i’ll separate next FY.

In the end I think 5g is an honesty system and readers are there to learn so to cheat it would be pointless for all involved, and I am not personally convinced it would have been worth his effort to flat out fabricate results (he was already good and had a following / heart - what else would you pose for?). I think it is well possible that he leveraged the success of some
    of his positiona for abit of extra gain, but overall I think the guys actual knowledge and skill have been tarnished perhaps unnecessarily, and as a result STT has lost who I thought was a great poster.

Anyway... I’m probably a minority in this view and starting to defend him too much I think lol. Was just always confused about the whole thing so glad to have received a few perspectives on it now.

As for following others; I have never followed any of those mentioned, but will try check out later. Generally speaking I am a big fan of following people, not for the ‘tips’ (although they don’t hurt to know where you could/should lookk), not to blindly copy someones actions blindly - but it offers the best form of education I think. To read a single great post can provide a lot of insights, but to follow someones actions and thinking over a period of time and measure it against market behaviour/price movements etc. is where the true value lies, for me being new to the game anyway.

The point about the survival of some of these names and their experience/time in market vs their success ‘today’ is very interesting to me. It’s easy to gravitate to whoever is loudest or performing the best, but it is hard sometimes to truly gauge who are the best long term posters ‘follow’ - especially when their wisdom becomes contraversial to the bull horde and on face value those posters are not as successful ‘today’ (or at least, to my previous point, aren’t making a lot of noise about their success). Those good investors who have survived may have the skills to survive all markets, but I can’t spot them as easily in this market.

P.S. If 40s is too young to have experienced the world then I am most certainly in trouble!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.