XAO 0.99% 8,153.7 all ordinaries

Good morning Diver Dan I am 99% FA by inclination. With the...

1. 7,336 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1974
    Good morning Diver Dan

I am 99% FA by inclination. With the market near the top and dependent upon more 'stimulus' this is definitely a time to be a careful stock-picker. If the market rolls over then everything gets sold but only the good stuff bounces back.

A few months ago, in the ASX, the top 200 stocks were doing very well and the small caps languished. Currently it has been the other way around... lots of positive sentiment expressed on many of the the threads I read. So many people believing their stock is about to 'take off'. They can't all be correct. Only one or two, here and there will fulfill that promise.

I have had a good couple of weeks... which is a nice change. I usually refrain from discussing specifically what I hold [mostly I am continually underwater on everything] but I think I have something worthwhile to say this week.
    For the last 12 months I have been hunting for a porphyry copper stock [restricted to Australia... there are a couple of very interesting things elsewhere, but in this period of rising nationalism I think 'sovereign risk' is a real factor to watch out for]. It looks like ALK has the 'goods'. They reported a 500 metre intercept [from 200 metres] grading 0.48g/t gold and 0.2% copper in the same district as NCM's Cadia deposit. [Might sound low grade but that's how it is with these big deposits... actually the most profitable sort of mine]. To back that up... on Friday a change of director's interest came out with the Chairman buying 1M$'s worth on market during the week.

There are a couple of other hopefuls which I hold for the same reason [AIS and AMG] which I will continue with to see what they do but I aggressively pyramided into ALK because it looks good on every count [strong financials, long term stable management and positive cash flow from existing mines]. I am basically looking for strong long term investments... I think the best of the short term gains have already been made on ALK for the time being. It looks set for a bit of range trading on an upwards trendline... imo.

My purpose for wanting copper is I am trading/investing thematically on the EV story. So I am researching the battery/EV minerals and looking for the best chances in that. fwiw... I am punting on SGQ for nickel [still very early days with that... looks promising but they have yet to prove a large main deposit, lots of very high grade nickel sulphide in pods which is OK but not the big prize yet]. I have also settled on PLS as the lithium stock to hold... been through plenty of bad times lately so it is thoroughly beaten up and good buying for the long term [imo].

Of course there is always something gold... but that has become a bit tricky of late.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XAO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.