XAO 1.03% 7,817.4 all ordinaries

Happy weekend to you, Members of the trading garage and this...

1. 1,889 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1023
    Happy weekend to you,

Members of the trading garage and this forum should know it is another bat release weekend - and none too soon as fall is coming and they need a taste of the wild and a layer of fat before the hibernation. Well, we are going to try… it depends on the weather and his mates. Bug is his name, given partly in honor of one of the true gentleman that visits the lounge now and then.

He's had a meal of beetles coated in egg, spiralina and a little algal omega three for good measure.   It leaves a mess on his cheeks and I'm not even sure if he needs this proprietary nonsense it but wanted him as fat as possible on the eve of his first night out.  He also needs to be light enough to fly well so we will sit together for a while.

Actually he's not really going to be alone because I've been taking him out in a small mesh tent.  Once outside, he immediately begins to chatter; emitting 150 decibel noises I cannot hear.  Under the broad sky and seemingly out of nowhere, some of his brethren swoop in - their agile frames coming within only a few meters of us -fearless.  It is one of the most spectacular events I've seen - their knowledge of each other by the medium of sound is breathtaking.  I doubt it is described in the esoteric journals of mammalogy but it must’ve been witnessed before.  Most of his noises sound like chatter but he lets out little audible squeaks when they fly near. Get me out of here, he must say...this fool and his confounded empty bat nest syndrome...he’s anthropomorphized me into eating his breakfast food.  He becomes very excited and flies from side to side of the tent.   Once released, he will follow them and take up where he left off before we crossed paths months ago.   If he can't find their night roost, he will have to nestle under some trees or leaves the next day.   Thank heaven he is very good at taking off from the ground.  Bachelors are often solitary but he is a juvenile and will mix with the fairer sex for now.

We look at each other under the large August moon, its beauty illuminating a dangerous world of time and chance. We can hear the predators in the pine ridge. Freedom is dangerous little furry one.  We've just no choice. He stares at me when I talk, his little head silhouetted by the pale blue night.  You know what is funny - he sometimes would wee in my hand when I would reach for him...a form of recognition perhaps because he'd crawl onto me right after and soon fall asleep, his tiny toes holding on to my thumb.  Not a blind and unquestioning fan of nature writ large, I wish I could describe just how endearing these little creatures are; but am content to know that you have had your own such meetings in this life.  No matter what troubles we face in this world after, these are the meetings we will never forget.

So here we are, bug.  In your own way you must wonder what this was all about.   I wonder too.   We are from different worlds but you've made me wonder all the more. I hope we both deserve to know and believe we will.  But for now, I am going to open my hand and you are going to jump and fly twenty maybe thirty meters up and catch the breeze.  Your family is waiting.

You might look back once - because you may not remember me later.  And since I’m standing here in this field talking to a tiny bat I may as well go all the way and tell you that it’s tearing me up to watch you go.  Your sweetness is a rare thing in this world and I love you

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XAO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.