XAO 0.35% 8,039.9 all ordinaries

In the 1990s I went to a college football game in Tucson,...

1. 3,757 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 22
    In the 1990s I went to a college football game in Tucson, Arizona. Now, the hometown quarterback had fired off a handgun in a supermarket carpark. He wasn't even arrested because of the upcoming game.

At the game, the crowd cheered (don't remember any boos) & it was about 35-40000 people. When the game ended, the crowd got up, back seats first, and exited in an incredibly orderly manner. And this was in a violent society, 4-6 murders in a city of 400,000 each week. I was tenseish just walking around the streets, especially since there were no footpaths. Or streetlights (nearby telescopes).

Round about that time, the SF earthquake occurred. The lights failed at a huge baseball game (World Series?), emergency generators gave power for sound, nobody panicked or left and they sat and sang, with the occasional news report about a collapsed freeway. Where most of the fatalitities were incurred.

I had no time for the US as a Society (still less now), but the behaviour of sports crowds was just incredibly good and disciplined by Worldwide standards.

Sorry to have blathered, HAGWA,

pmd3nka

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XAO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.