XAO 0.21% 7,923.4 all ordinaries

Short Term Trading Weekend Lounge: 23-25th Feb, page-53

1. 7,385 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2018
    Hi jas626

It has been a long time since I last dabbled in oilers. I had a quick look at BRK ... just a fast skim.

imo... the assets owned or controlled are not the best guide to intrinsic value. Sure ... if the company decides to liquidate land holdings [or use them as collateral for loans/bonds] then that cash is valuable, but in the absence of that the assets can be viewed as sunk costs which are non performing. For a producing oiler the essentials are cash flow, the ability to service debts, the costs of discovery [drilling... which frequently has a high failure rate], completion rates, production numbers and the associated revenue return and most importantly depletion rates.

The couple of ann's I opened were about 'initial' production rates... which are often as good as it gets and sometimes the depletion of the well can be startlingly rapid. The only reliable guide to the value of the company is the record of the monthly production taken over long time frames....imo.

Like I say ... just did a quick scan but the impression I formed is they are operating in brownfields production areas... such fields can often be purchased fairly cheaply because all of the low risk oil has been extracted... the success of the play will usually depend upon the new operator taking bigger financial risks looking for oil deeper down... sometimes works out sometimes not.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XAO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.