PS: A few things I was not clear on. On the US AM scramble after...

1. 1,889 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1023
    PS: A few things I was not clear on. On the US AM scramble after a well-balanced overnight futures session (see Friday's post/chart for the early part where they were being picky about their levels) NYSE breadth had some depressed moments. It ended at -3.42:1 today while NASD breadth closed out at -1.1:1. When I say that the breadth was mildly negative, I'm crunching the whole session together for both NYSE, Nasdaq, and SPX tick, A-D lines and breadth. Overall, it was kind of mild. The combined closing auction saw about a -2.5B sell just before the closing bell and presaged that big move. Also, to be clear, VX futures term structure is not in backwardation right now. But when it is, the potential energy for the snapback phenomenon increases.

Regardless of what happens on Monday, some will not be shocked to see sharp rallies during the week. That is part of a paradox: the volatility index does often move inversely to the SPX, but as you can see, levels are not precisely correlated with SPX levels and implied volatility can create realized volatility in both directions. Right now, we have the potential for big moves in either direction and that is part of the mechanics of index and stock hedging. That means that during periods of high implied volatility you can get very bouncy behavior like we saw today.
    Last edited by Diver Dan: 27/02/21

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.