Yes ,I got my masks in January also . I got about 26 of them -...

1. 3,625 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 139
    Yes ,I got my masks in January also . I got about 26 of them - to share between 6 people - clearly they will run out - as they are supposed to be single use - but they cost me $175. I also got some cheap ones from China ($100) - $1 each , which haven't arrived yet, and probably won't offer the recommended protection - but better than nothing - got them from Amazon au . Masks are dearer than people realize $5 - $20 each .I think most Australians in the early days wouldn't pay those amounts - before the virus became an actual threat . I agree with you BM'sD - the initial recommendation to not wear masks seemed ridiculous to me . The recommendation was clearly along the lines of fear of them selling out . How many people now wished they had stocked up on more food before it became potentially dangerous to shop for food . As a population we should have stocked up more - a wide variety of food . Then we could isolate longer . The shelves have only ever been missing some of the more popular food - but at no time could people not buy enough food. There was a shop full of food at all times . If you couldn't get rice - buy potatoes . Anyway there never were many masks available in Australia in late Jan/ early Feb. I spent a whole night searching the internet for them back in Jan/ Feb - sold out everywhere. I suspect the online ones went to China. I am the only one wearing a mask at my shopping center. Some people gasp when they see me , as it is not a common sight, and it reminds them of the danger. Well the fact is -contact with other people is now potentially dangerous .. Time to get creative guys . Make a mask. There are lots of yutube videos on how to make your own mask - even N95 ones . Wear something - even if it is a scarf, and wash it afterwards . You can probably still buy masks online if you are prepared to pay a high price for them, more than I paid.
    Now that scientists know that a sneeze can travel up to 8m , how will you protect yourself ? Maybe you will have a better idea than these folks. Maybe you like their idea . The she'll be right attitude could be your downfall during the season we are in . Get prepared - so you'll be alright . We like having you around.
    https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/2079/2079065-ceb4a28974e406c8ad8a1297ec6c919d.jpg

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.