[MEDIA] Hey @golden6, my stomping grounds run from just outside...

1. 1,889 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1023

Hey @golden6, my stomping grounds run from just outside and south of Washington DC in Northern Virginia to the foothills of the great state of North Carolina. I'm most familiar with habits of people on the outskirts of the Capital Beltway in MD and VA where I've spent a lot of time. I've a fair understanding of the attitudes prevalent in Appalachian mountain chain and the counties on either side of the Potomac, Rappahannock, Shenandoah and James rivers as they flow into the Chesapeake Bay.  I've made myself a nuisance in New England and southern Fla too - where they are crazier than outhouse rats (but I love you Fla, just put on a mask).  Who knows if my frame of reference reflects reality, but having  lived a very large portion of my life outside the US, I've got the impression that people elsewhere  ascribe a cultural homogeneity to the states that they would have second thoughts about if they stayed here for longer than a vacation.  People that travel between states will tell you the same - all kinds of quirky enclaves and diversity and independence of thought can be found - and therein lies part of the issue we're having with a concept of rights and duty during the pandemic.

Where I am now, the mask thing was sort of slow to take off (though there were hardly any cases here when the fear was at its height and the virus was scant).   I posted once that I saw some cynical looks given to those who adopted the face coverings from the get-go. Through May and June however, most I see are wearing masks.  The decision to practice distance or don a mask seems a politically motivated decision on the part of the naughty ones.  It is common here to confuse negative rights (derived from the right to be left alone) with positive rights (ones that require sacrifice on the part of another within a social contract/compact). In the present case they are having problems dealing with the confluence of a mostly voluntary act - that when ignored puts the health of everyone at risk - and the right to be unfettered by government for and by the people.  The obligation to protect others - not a right but a duty - in our social contract is being ignored and that resistance to protective measures is being enhanced by certain political leaders.  Though many conservative thinkers will deem negative constitutional rights as the most important, even an imbecile should be able to see that wearing a mask is a small price to pay for the protection of your fellow citizens.  But selfish people cause some to make it a law - even Texas just made it a law! As @ammie has pointed out, it’s often a Trump thing. This week the president has implied he's into the mask thing -- but that is probably because his favorite cable network is suddenly urging him to do so - after a long period of now admitted denial - so for the sake of his most unquestioning followers.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.