Nice post Forrestfield. I also go through the A-Z of listed...

1. 1,671 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 280
    Nice post Forrestfield.

I also go through the A-Z of listed companies from the ASX site. I go through this about once every 6 to 9 months. I mainly go through industrial companies as my mining company knowledge is not top notch. It does not generally warrant hours on research on many companies and I don't have an extensive understanding of different types and structures of minerals. I go through the list outside of ASX hours, so it can take a couple of weeks to work through. If I look up a stock and it is illiquid or has a big spread between buyers and sellers i generally won't research it any further. I see it as too hard to take a reasonable position and/or trying to sell may be problematic also.
    I also go through the Upcoming floats (listed on ASX site also (on a weekly basis). I often read the prospectus. I will mainly look at what the company does, who the directors are and what are their history, as well as previous and forecast finamcials.
    Quarterly reports are also a very valuable research tool. Especially for small industrial companies. I look compare receipts from customers against previous quarters. Cash burn and cash held are also closely watched.
    I also keep a record of companies that have upgraded profit forecasts during the year. These companies rarely disappoint at earnings results as management seem to always leave a little wriggle room to beat those upgraded forecasts.
    At reporting season in August I wrote downs list of metrics from about 30 industrial companies I follow. These include revenue growth, EBITDA growth, EPS and dividends. I note down any forecasts for the next half or full year. I note the share price and the movement on the day. I will review these from early January onwards as a lot of mid cap industrial stocks have been sold down substantially since (BBN, NXT, VTG, BAP, ALU etc).
    Individual stock forums can also be very helpful. Long posts generally are the ones to look at as there is usually good fundamental or technical research provided. A low post count is reasonably irrelevant when researching on stock threads.
    The STT thread is also very good obviously!! Plenty of tips to then research yourself can be garnered from here.

It's been a belter of a week due to the performance of IAM, CR8, GMC amongst others.
    They still have plenty in the tank I believe.

I have ridden the exercise bike at the gym for 34 minutes while I have thought and also typed this.
    Might move on to something else.

All the best.

PS. Don't mind Dr Fork either.
    Too many getting confused between Nambo, Rambo and Mambo!!
    Last edited by Maysgr: 10/12/16

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.