I went to school at age 5. Teacher reported I was very quiet,...

1. 28,688 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 424
    I went to school at age 5. Teacher reported I was very quiet, very well behaved, sat in my desk and wept, very very silently. Large tears coursing down my cheeks. But all silently. The poor teacher was alarmed but she loved me and I loved her. Teachers never growled at me for anything, really. But I refused to raise my hand to answer a question, because I didn't know how my voice sounded. I was noisy enough at home, given I had both a brother and a sister and needed to demand my rights. My brother teased me unmercifully, I thought, but it took little for me to object to him. Staring at me was enough to send me into a victim.

I managed to get through primary school, almost never uttering a single word to anyone at all. Secondary school, not much different. However, I was considered a good student and got the Second Prize for top student at end of Year 10, the final year of school. I began to speak in my late 20's when I finally arrived at University. I then found my voice and my confidence. I had worked in offices for 10 years before reaching Uni. and guess I was able to perform satisfactorily throughout that time and I did speak to my boss and on the phone, lol.

Maybe I should have been wrenched from my mother at age 2 and forced into "pre-school education".

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.