SYR 1.14% 22.3¢ syrah resources limited

Further to my post re activist hedge funds - this article...

1. 9,236 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Further to my post re activist hedge funds - this article outlines how they operate - note the reference to "hit piece research" - I think the Viceroy Research "piece" qualifies for a hit piece. It also mentions that some publish these "hit piece research" items on sites such as seekingalpha

extract below - full details via this link.....http://www.investorvillage.com/smbd.asp?mb=633&mn=235346&pt=msg&mid=16937060
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How these individuals conduct their activities is outlined below[2]:

How does the scheme played by these “hit piece research” providers work?

We have laid it out below, but effectively by distributing "market moving" information pieces with the intent to move the market hedge funds and sophisticated traders are able to profit at the expense of the retail and smaller investors.

Timeline:

1. Hit piece authors and their cronies put together a “hit piece” “research” piece based on due diligence they claim they have done referencing public, non public, unconfirmed and unproven damning information about a company.

2. Hit piece authors and cronies distribute such information to their friends, subscribers, partners, etc.

3. They all trade in the security based on the direction the report is intended to move the stock price of such securities. To build a position to benefit from the market moving report they intend to release they:

a. Short sell securities to other investors that are then positioned to be harmed from the information they plant o release.

b. They sell call options to collect premiums to investors that are then positioned to be harmed from the information they plan to release.

c. They acquire put options from investors that are then positioned to be harmed from the information they plant o release.

4. They wait a few days to fully load up on such positions they are seeking to profit from.

5. They release the “market moving” information to the market – including public, non public, unsubstantiated and unproven malicious and damning information for the sole purpose of manipulating the share price in violation of SEC Rule 10b-5, which causes the security plummet in value.

6. They then either:

a. Cover their short position shortly after report is out locking in hefty profits.

b. They let the call options expire that they sold collecting healthy premiums.

c. They exercise the puts and lock in healthy gains or sell the puts at a hefty premium to what they paid profiting healthily.

7. Then they go long the security as when the company responds with the facts the security is almost likely to recover around 70% of its value in the market – profiting again from the average shareholder.

8. After stealing money from shareholders as a result of their “market moving” information they disperse the market they move on to the next security.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Prime1

What is bizarre is your suggestion I am "attacking management".

Read the post by equityma above Post #:23182415, then read my post in response Post #:23184329 and you will understand there is no attacking going on - just an explanation that his assumption is flawed by the example I gave. You really need to read what is being said and stop taking posts out of context/making wild accusations.

@melua

Agree. I recall Paul Kehoe buying a few shares on market way back, but other directors are sadly lacking in this department.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SYR (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
22.3¢
Change
0.003(1.14%)
Mkt cap ! $230.2M
Open High Low Value Volume
22.0¢ 22.5¢ 22.0¢ $26.29K 118.8K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
28 151449 22.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
22.5¢ 144685 21
View Market Depth
Last trade - 11.25am 18/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
SYR (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.