WEB 1.29% $8.62 webjet limited

Something has puzzled me for ages, and maybe someone has an...

1. 413 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 214
    Something has puzzled me for ages, and maybe someone has an answer about why WEB is still, and has been, in the top 10 shorted stocks for the past two and a half years.

I'm not a shorter, never have been, so my understanding of it is limited to the basics, which are:
    You borrow the shares when they're at a high price, sell them immediately to capitalise on that high price, then buy the same number back when they go lower to return them to the lender. You pay a "rental" fee on the shares you've borrowed for the time you're holding them and keep paying it until the shares are returned. So, it stands to reason (to me) that you'd be moving pretty fast to sell the shares you've borrowed, not holding them for ages and keep paying the rental fee.

So it doesn't make sense to me that WEB has been in the top 10 shorted stocks for years. I could understand it when WEB was really high (pre-Covid when it was going for $10-$14). I could even understand it when WEB was in free-fall in April 2020 as borrowing at $8, $6, $4, etc, seemed a pretty good bet.

What I don't get is that WEB was being shorted at $2.50 and continues to be shorted in very large numbers now. Ignoring the fact that the company's outlook is pretty good now (so why would you short it at all?), what I'm not getting is why shorters would either:
    (a) be holding on to the shares they borrowed years ago and paying huge amounts of "rental" fee; or
    (b) be borrowing new shares while the price is either pretty stable or going up.

Genuinely perplexed.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WEB (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$8.62
Change
0.110(1.29%)
Mkt cap ! $3.365B
Open High Low Value Volume
$8.41 $8.66 $8.41 $13.30M 1.550M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 3568 $8.59

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$8.62 26165 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 30/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$8.60
  Change
0.110 ( 0.66 %)
Open High Low Volume
$8.42 $8.66 $8.42 191808
Last updated 15.59pm 30/05/2024 ?
WEB (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.