Shots fired at Trump rally, page-1989

1. 18,254 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 176
    @tangs - I do agree with your post, I don't have all the facts off pat, but have observed that the ways to a war, and more so the justification for such are often weird and wonderful.

NATO did have a reputation - in Europe too, (who are their partners,) - that 'the Americans' started conflicts at times without consulting their allies - Europeans now 'dimly' blame the Americans, but also blame Angela Merkel for the huge influx of people from Eastern lands, all claiming to be refugees. I, personally, think setting up border controls again (and repatriation), would be the simple remedy - but in a way the younger generation is totally in love with 'being Europeans'. Now it remains to be seen, if they are happy to fight for that privilege.

Yesterday we cast back our memory by 10 years, to the downing of a passenger plane on Ukrainian soil by Russian forces - which was a shot before the bow, ignored by the West. Before that came claims for the Crimea by Russia, this island always having been a bone of contention, due to its strategic importance.
    The EU made the mistake of relying on NATO for their security for too long and not creating their own, efficient army - Fears of Germany being once again the major military power made everyone hesitate, including the Germans. Moreover, when the time came to bid good-bye to Americans on German soil (and they are still there!) the old weaponry, including 2 (outmoded) rocket launchers had been graciously 'given' to Poland, who promptly stationed them on their Eastern borders. Now Poland stands to receive more help; more up-market models of rocket launchers, even 'nuclear' are mentioned in hushed tones, to be stationed in a city called Rzeszow, along with U.S. soldiers. There is talk that it will become the new 'Ramstein' (which was the main US. military base in Germany).

The Germans (at least what I read in their newspapers) seem to think that both Trump as well as Biden will hesitate to put more money, weaponry etc. into the Ukrainian war, so it will be a given that Russia, once again, will gain territory and move West as a result. Not a nice prospect, even though I love their music, even their language, their addition to the cultural heritage of the world - BUT under Communism they have shown a face to the world which is remembered only for its evil side. The underlying principle was a good one, but it got corrupted in human hands the moment it saw the first forced 'collectivization' of farmers, both in Russia and specifically the Ukraine - they went about it in a brutal way in the Ukraine, letting millions starve to death (check out 'Holodomor' - under Stalin) - this is remembered in the Ukraine to this day.

Sorry a bit of rambling here - I shall re-cast myself in silence from now on, as all that chit-chat doesn't solve much.
    Taurisk

https://www.britannica.com/event/Holodomor

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.