Give it a rest, mate. Do you have any evidence that anyone is...

1. 717 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 23
    Give it a rest, mate. Do you have any evidence that anyone is actually shooting koalas or platypus? In my experience, cars and tree-felling are by far the main killers of koalas and river bank destruction and fishing gear (opera house nets) are the key threats to platypus. In 40 years working in wildlife management and environment policy, I've come across a handful of cases of aboriginal people taking wildlife under the protection of native title exemptions - mostly dugong on the reef and shellfish in southern Australia. In most cases these issues have been resolved by engagement with local elders and getting the locals involved in management decisions (ie. giving them a voice!). Aboriginal people may no longer be conforming to some romantic model of hunting and gathering, but these are traditional foods that have significant economic and cultural value to locals. It is our laws that have tried to deny them their long-standing access rights.

I'm impressed that you are concerned for wildlife, but you are targeting the wrong people.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.