The history of the Burqa isn't that old about 100 years unlike...

1. 146 Posts.
    The history of the Burqa isn't that old about 100 years unlike the Hijab which has its place in women millinery history.

Woman have covered there heads for centuries. Even in western culture. Women would never walk into church without wearing a hat or head piece up until the 1970's. This all comes from the middle ages belief that the hair on ones heads was related to the hair to the females private parts, so should only be visual to ones husband. This is still why Muslims and Jews females cover their hair.(I would give you all a source but i can't remember the name of the book.)

The Burqa is not from the middle ages. (yes there are looks in history that are similar, but it is more due garment technology or manufacturing at that period of time.)

The Burqa origin is from about late 19th century to early 20th century. It was used by the males of royalty or up class family in the middle east to hid the faces of there beautiful wives from the common man on the streets

As all good fashions do that filter down to the streets.

In Afghanistan they outlawed the Burqa, during the 1940-70 (somewhere during these dates. This was to stop the fashion trend that hids females faces among the low classes of society. As times changed people make a piece of clothing there own attaching there own beliefs.

(Book- Sewing circles of Herat)

I have no problem with the Burqa but why are they always black. What about a little colour.

cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.