It's hard to fathom whats happening with Thorpe. He's clearly a...

1. 12,390 Posts.
    It's hard to fathom whats happening with Thorpe. He's clearly a troubled guy and has been for many years.
    My "gay" radar can sometimes need some fine tuning but in Thorpies case it's been spinning off it's axis for years.
    When is the poor guy going to come out and announce it? What a horrible existence it would be to live a deception like that. He should take a leaf from Kawolskies book who decided to announce his sexuality in recent times. The rumours have been about for years, and I'm a firm believer in the smoke/fire theory. Does it mean he isn't as sailable if he's gay? Would his godlike status in Japan suffer? Is there potential to make money from the guess work?
    The evidence is overwhelming for the guy. I've never seen him with a female on his arm, he's been living with a Brazilian swimmer called Danial for a few years. There's rumours of Bruce Macavaney being involved with both Thorpie and Kawolski in their early years. It all seems a bit silly to continue the denial.
    Perhaps I'm completely on the wrong track and he'll announce his engagement to a pretty young woman next week. Then again Elton John did that and look at him now.
    If I'm correct though it seems like he's wasting an opportunity to promote gay rights and become another ambassador for their cause. Not unlike Ian Roberts did when he retired from league. The gay movement already use his fame to promote events, so one would have to assume they would be in the know. Just a shame to see such a champion tearing himself apart unnecessarily.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.