URANIUM 1.02% $24.70 uranium futures

show time

1. 3,731 Posts.
    3:20 pm from ABC.net.au

Rudd asks ALP conference to scrap 'no new mines' policy
    Labor leader Kevin Rudd has asked the Australian Labor Party's (ALP) national conference to scrap the party's "no more mines" policy.

He has dismissed the Prime Minister's call for nuclear power in Australia, saying it is not the answer to climate change.

Mr Rudd's amendment is expected to attract the most opposition of any at the conference, but its backers believe it will pass.

He says Australia can and should use clean coal and renewable energy, but says Australia should export more uranium because other countries do not have as many energy options.

"That is why over a long period of time our country has been exporting uranium to the rest of the world, that is why the amendment before you seeks to recognise that reality," he said.

Mr Garrett said earlier he will argue against the amendment.

"My views about this have been clear from the start and I'll argue my position," he said.

"I believe we're into nuclear as far as we need to be and that discussion will unfold."

A small band of anti-uranium protesters is outside the conference urging delegates not to allow more mines.

The debate on uranium mining at the national conference coincides with the Government's attempt to put nuclear power generation at the top of the political agenda in an election year.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add URANIUM (NYMEX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.