Sickening Price Gouging

1. 46,267 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    My wife and I have been RACV members for more than thirty years - loyal members of the RACV Club by any criteria. We've used the RACV exclusively during that time for insurance cover on our cars, our caravan, our home and our contents.

We've NEVER made a major claim on any insurance policy. The only claim on my car's insurance was a decade ago for minor damage caused by another vehicle - a broken side mirror and minor damage to the right front mudguard.

In recent years the RACV has increased the cost of insurance on my 2014 model car from $466 with a $400 Excess in 2016 to $618 with a $700 Excess 12 months ago. That's a 32% increase despite an almost 50% increase in the Excess.

Well the RACV just served me with this year's premium demand. On a vehicle worth $Thousand less, which is hardly ever even drive these days and for which there's never been a major claim and indeed just one minor one, the premium increase for 2024 is 26%!

Guess what happened when I tried to respond to their notification - their communication cannot be replied to!

Small wonder that we've decided to sell the car, report the price gouging to the ACCC and to our federal MP Helen Haines as well as seeking different insurers to cover our home and contents insurance.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.