LNU 0.00% 0.2¢ linius technologies limited

Hi @MADXAlways happy to help clarify things here.The fundamental...

1. 145 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 86
    Hi @MADX

Always happy to help clarify things here.

The fundamental capability of Linius, and its Virtual Video, is that they're able to take many videos (either whole, or in parts) and turn them into one 'virtual video'.

A great example of this is sports highlights. You could take one football match, and create a video that is just the interesting bits. Or, you could do this across a whole season, showing just the goals (or, just the goals of a single player).

This in truth is a great thing. From this starting point, lots of different industries and verticals should be able to do interesting things.

In the case of the sports highlights example, an editor could look at a bunch of videos, and manually piece together the video (they're already doing that when they create highlight reels) and then release that video. The advantage there is that they're not creating a NEW video; they're creating a VIRTUAL video made up of 'pointers' to the relevant portions of the other videos. This is a good thing because by not creating new videos, you're not having to store more files (or manage more assets).

Where it gets more exciting, though, is when you don't do this manually, you do it programmatically by looking at the available metadata for the sports. Said metadata is available through StatsPerform or Genius, for example. Marrying the metadata to the video allows for the assembly of the videos programmatically, not just by an editor, but by anyone performing a search for a particular metric (e.g. goals).

Linius doesn't generate that sports data, but it has developed its own way of processing that data and being able to generate the videos based on that data. However, they still have to get the data from somewhere -- they don't do that bit.

Sports aside, though, Linius has a number of 'hooks' into cloud-based indexing services (like AWS or Azure) that can process a video and determine certain things about it. Transcribing the video is useful, for example; if you're able to search the metadata for a particular word, then you're able to view just the bit of that particular video (instead of having to download/stream the whole thing). But what if instead of one video, you search across many? This is where it's useful for education; you want to see relevant snippets of video for the word 'protest', say, across ten thousand videos. You're able to instantly view a compilation of the bits you want. And, it doesn't take up storage space.

This is what Linius means when they say that they make video 'searchable'. They might not own the tech that creates the metadata, but they own the tech that enables efficient usage of that metadata.

The best metaphor I can think of offhand is if you went to a library, and behind the desk were three people. One is wearing a name badge that says "AWS", another "Azure", and the third "Google Cloud". You ask each "Where can I find information about Steve Irwin?" All three are able to tell you immediately whereabouts in the library the relevant books are. They tell you which shelf, which book, and even which page. However, you have to go get those books, flick through them to the right page, and read them one by one.

If there's a fourth person behind the desk with the name badge "Linius", that person says to you "Well, I personally don't know where the information is, but I just listened to what these three said, and I can give you what you want straight away. Here's a folder contains all the relevant pages -- in fact, the relevant paragraphs -- from each of the books these guys mentioned. You don't have to flick through all the books one by one, I've given you what you need right here and now, in whatever order you asked for (alphabetically, by relevance, by author, or whatever) and that saves you a lot of time. Plus, those pieces of paper in the folder? They're not even real pieces of paper, they're actually little portals into the books themselves showing you the information you want. I didn't waste any paper printing them out; I'm showing them to you directly, and we won't have stacks of paper sitting around the library from everyone's requests."

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit?

Linius doesn't create the search data for videos, but it enables it. It makes it useful. That's probably the best one liner I can come up with.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LNU (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.