123 -I see you had to rely on a Mod (Raks) to take the mickey...

1. 8,527 Posts.
    123 -

I see you had to rely on a Mod (Raks) to take the mickey out of me with regard to the proof that the photo you virtually accused me of lying about actually existed! And to put me down further with regard to some WIVES being in the photo. So how about an apology?? I'll look forward to it - as don't take kindly to this adverse reflection on the truth re. my referral to the existence of this photo.

Yes, seeing this photo flashed quickly on a nightly TV news grab, I saw Gillard and "Mr. Gillard" large as life in the middle front row, and allow I was wrong with regard to some of them having their (legally married) wives with them for the posing of this "silly shirt" shot. Wives who later took no part in any meetings or procedures, beyond social drinks or dinners. However, Mathieson is neither a "wife", or a husband! He is a boyfriend - standing around, often being dressed in apporpiately (sports clothes and open necked shirts) as her handbag, and trailed along as some pet.
    Why then is he waving from aeroplanes, coming and going - waving to whom? and walking down red carpets and making idiotic protocal gaffes such as joining in a red carpet military guard red carpet welcome for the PM? And constantly hanging aroudn in the background, and being introduced to other world leaders just prior to meetings - he is NOT an elected representative - or her legal husband.
    IS she doing this just to stick it up certain noses? Or is she also badly advised on protocol too? This makes her seem awkward, ignorant, and not up to PM standard with regard to expected behaviour. Why is he there at all?
    Some Asians would see him as just a "kept man". Perhaps the Malaysian PM did not meet her for this very reason.

Knowing Asians very well, as I do (better than you I suggest with respect)I know that there would be a lot of behind the hands sniggering and derision at Gillard's complete lack of nouse or sensitivity to Asian standards of good manners and social sensibilities. There are some already calling Gillard "The Bogan Queen", and her and his actions have consolidated this view on this trip. SHE as our PM is representing Australia. They were even so grossly insensitive to official protocol that he tramped awkwardly up the red carpet 9half on it) with her through an official honor guard which was intended for her as our leader - NOT for him! Even Philip doesn't do this walk with the Queen on her formal arrivals! It's excriatingly embarrassing and gauche!

Not only is she right out of her depth internationally with regard to her lack of skills in international diplomacy, he is exacerbating this situation by making her look really silly, with his stupidity and awkward ignorance of the "done thing" in Asia, where "saving face" and "appearances" are absolutely EVERYTHING!! Asians at high levels are very very "proper", and appearances and impressions and behavious and dress are EVERYTHING if one is to get to firt base with any negotiations.

Doing business in Asia, the men NEVER bring their wives along - never to meetings, and most often not even to the attached lunches and dinners!

If you think I am an island in holding such views - suggest you look up the comments on Andrew Bolt blog on this issue of Mathieson making a fool of himself and her - there are hundreds who feel exactly as I do - that this couple are making a laughing stock of Australia - and make us look like a bunch of ignorant yokels.

To those who see this whole thing as trivial - I assure you it is not! We are talking about Australia's pride and standing in the international community - and being made a laughing stock, even if just on suchg huge protocol gaffes, is not the way to further our previously solid reputation.

Tim may well be a decent bloke personally. But he is out of place - and out of his depth - on these occasions, and should not be there! If she insists he goes - then for heaven's sake get Official Protocols drummed into them before the next time as to dress and behaviour.

Politics may be of no consequence to some; to others of us, moreso now, the direction of politics in our country is vital; we are talking about our country's future welfare! If grossly mismanaged, what are we leaving to our kids and grandkids. Financial and social and ideological wreckage?

I expect your apology 123enen. Don't think anyone enjoys being made out to be a liar. And I have wasted a lot of my valuable time finding this photo myself and dealing with your disbelief.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.