silver exposure: bullion or shares

1. 3,816 Posts.
    Most silver bulls on this forum have been advocating owning mining shares rather
    than physical silver. Out of interest, I have done a ‘serviette’ comparison of investing
    in MMN or silver bullion (either physical or certificates). For this purpose I have
    made the following assumptions.

Silver Price
    Once the short side manipulation runs out of dumpable silver the price rally will be
    pretty spectacular, perhaps exceeding 50 USD per ozt. There are, however, three
    factors which I believe will return the silver price to a trading range of 7 to 10 USD
    per ozt within a few years. The first two will be a sudden reduction in silver jewelry
    consumption and an increase in silver scrap supply. These two factors will bring the
    price back to ~20 USD within six months. The third factor of increased mine supply
    will take a few years. It may be noted that many mining companies have mining
    operations that are ready to start for want of higher silver prices. From 6 months to
    two years after a price spike, I believe that the silver price will average about 15 USD
    per ozt.

MMN
    Assume that MMN begins its mining operation at the start of the price spike. Prior to
    this, funding the project would have entailed large hedging obligations. Within two
    years MMN has produced 7 mozt, for which it has received an average price of 15
    USD per ozt. Costs for MMN during this time have amounted to 6 USD per ozt,
    leaving it with a profit of about 63 M USD. Allowing generous writedowns (~10 M
    AUD), MMN would be left with a profit of about 80 M AUD after tax, or the
    equivalent of about 0.3 AUD per share.(current share price = 0.11AUD per share)

Bullion
    You sell your physical or certified holding for a higher price - +40 USD if you are
    fortunate.

Conclusion
    The leverage of share ownership over bullion may not be as great as some on this
    forum have suggested. MMN does have speculative appeal other that its silver
    interests.(I believe that the assumptions I have made for MMN re silver are very
    generous.)

Billy

Disclaimer: This is an opinion piece only. Do your own research

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.