re:gyro: sir johannes bjelke-petersen kcmg This boy put it well,...

1. 4,271 Posts.
    re:gyro: sir johannes bjelke-petersen kcmg This boy put it well, I think.
    Letters to the editor in today's Age.

Why Joh shouldn't get a state funeral

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie says we "should turn the page" in relation to Joh Bjelke-Petersen. I cannot do this, nor can I understand the continuing promotion of this man's image by Beattie. Bjelke-Petersen was arguably among the most divisive and corrupt politicians in Australia's history, and certainly one of the most corrupt since the "rum corps" in early 19th century NSW.

From activities including corrupt sale of mining leases, receipt of preferential Comalco shares, suppression of the Springbok demonstrations, erosion of political liberty, support for endemic police corruption (including the appointment of "Sir" Terence Lewis), acceptance of bribes and perjury at the Fitzgerald inquiry, it is inescapable that he was a corrupt and venal politician of the highest order.

A state funeral should be held only for people worthy of honourable remembrance, not just their contribution to change through political manipulation. No person of honour should attend, and any who do so will be tarnished with the promotion of political and moral corruption.
    Greg Angelo, Balwyn North

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.