I'm not sure how easy it is to model, or work through with...

1. 5,391 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 291
    I'm not sure how easy it is to model, or work through with excel, but the way I'm thinking about it is in terms of the R0 value. Clearly this is the crucial variable.

My inclination is that the R0 for an asymptomatic patient is likely to be low. Pre lockdown this might have been ~1.5, and post lockdown it's likely dropped to ~0.5.

The r0 value for a symptomatic mobile patient pre Covid concern might have been as high as 10 or even 15. This likely dropped to 5 once the world got wind of avoiding people with a fever/respiratory symptoms. This then dropped to maybe 2 with a rapid test and trace campaign*, and now down to less than 1, with these measures and a total lockdown. If we look at the time frame for these other measures, it helps explain how Aus 'flattened the curve' early. It isn't only the lockdown intervention which needs to be examined.

We also need to partly exclude/reduce the R0 value for the people who became known covid positives, either before arrival in Aus, or during their 14 day isolation.

*I think the introduction of 'trace and test' at a low initial number of positive cases, is the key reason Australia has kept the numbers low.

Last edited by Just_a_guy: 05/04/20

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.