The logical thing to do would be:1. Be sure that testing...

1. 1,158 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 593
    The logical thing to do would be:
    1. Be sure that testing capacity is adequate in country (% positive rate)
    2. Allow travel between jurisdictions with confirmed lack of community transmission (no community transmission for 2 weeks)
    3. Allow curated travel (eg business) under careful
    conditions
    4. After about a month open up

I think the risk is too great in Australia and New Zealand to do anything else and I imagine that, based on evidence to date, caution will occur. The tricky thing for Australia is that tourist dollars tend to flow out of the country- it is actually better for the domestic economy for people to spend their money at home with specific sector support than to open borders indiscriminately. The same doesn’t apply for hubs like Singapore or tourist destinations like New Zealand, Greece, Spain or Italy. The bigger issue is that people just won’t travel unless they feel safe, which has been amply demonstrated to date.

I think the domestic policy response is going to be very similar to the requirements the states have before opening borders- Ie all contingent on control of virus. That being said, it seems improbable given how quickly the virus can be contained, that normality won’t resume to some degree over say a 6 month horizon.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.