slipper steps down, page-4

1. 18,561 Posts.

He is speaking now in parliament - very controlled:

SPEAKER Peter Slipper has resigned his post, telling the parliament tonight that he was standing down.

Mr Slipper said he thanked the parliament for his support during his tenure as the 27th speaker.

The former LNP member has once again been the focus of federal politics after court documents revealed that Mr Slipper sent lurid and sexist text messages to his staffer James Ashby.

Among the messages, Mr Slipper referred to female genitalia as "shell-less mussels". The messages prompted the Opposition to say he was unfit for office.
    Advertisement

The Prime Minister and several senior minister were in the chamber when Mr Speaker made his statement.

Mr Slipper had suspended himself from speaker while allegations of sexual harassment and improper conduct were investigated.

Mr Slipper had earlier survived a motion to remove him from office — moved by Opposition Leader Tony Abbott — was defeated by 70 votes to 69 with the government supported by independent MPs Craig Thomson, Rob Oakeshott, Tony Windsor and Greens MP Adam Bandt.

Tasmanian independent Andrew Wilkie voted with the Coalition.

Mr Slipper issued a short statement after the vote.

"It was intended at the time that text messages be private between Mr Ashby and me," he said.

"A number of these text messages refer to women and nothing excuses their content .... I understand why people, particularly women, would be offended by these statements and I unreservedly apologise for them."

During the debate Mr Abbott said it was "crystal clear" Mr Slipper was no longer a fit and proper person to uphold the dignity of the Parliament.

But Ms Gillard hit back, saying Mr Abbott did not need a motion to highlight misogyny and sexism; he needed a mirror - and the motion should be rejected.

Under section 35 of the constitution, the Speaker can be removed by a vote in the House of Representatives.

MORE TO COME

WITH JUDITH IRELAND AND JESSICA WRIGHT

Email article
    Print
    Reprints & permissions

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/slipper-resigns-as-speaker-20121009-27b8a.html#ixzz28mxNt7N3

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.