BBI 0.00% $3.98 babcock & brown infrastructure group

sloppy wording cost me over $100k

1. 1,014 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 85
    Like many others, I too decided to take a modest profit when the refinance deal was first announced. Having just recovered much of my investment capital after the GFC, I didn't want to risk losing a big chunk of it if BEPPA went down the toilet.

Although content with my modest profit overall, like many others, I am now kicking myself having sold 500K BEPPA's at around 10 cents instead of holding on.

I was very influenced by this statement in the refinancing announcement: The value outcomes of the transaction for BBI ordinary security holders, EPS holders and SPARCS holders are not certain and may attribute a value to those securities that is less than face value or recent trading prices.. I was in Bali when the announcement was made and I think BEPPAs were around 15 cents then. When I got back and was able to digest the announcement, BEPPAs were about 10 cents and that was when I liquidated my holding. It was the possibility of BEPPA following the refinancing being worth less than "recent trading prices" that I found too risky to keep holding.

If BBI had worded that statement to better reflect the deal, then I probably would have held on. Knowing what we know now, I think it should have been worded as follows: The value outcomes of the transaction are not certain and for BBI ordinary security holders may attribute a value to those securities that is less than recent trading prices, and for EPS holders and SPARCS holders may attribute a value to those securities that is less than face value. Indicating that BEPPA could be worth less than its $1 face value is quite different to indicating it could be worth less than its recent trading prices, which was as low as 8 cents.

Whether the ambiguity was intentionally made to loosen up some BEPPAs for insiders to buy is something we will never know.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BBI (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.